”Volunteering with AIM was beyond my expectations. I learned so much from my mentor and even more from the patients themselves. The experience was the highlight of my week and I can’t wait to continue volunteering in years to come.”
Our volunteers have the opportunity to make a profound difference in patients’ lives. Each academic semester, Arts in Medicine registers approximately 50 student and community volunteers who have a background in a variety of disciplines including visual arts, music, dance, creative writing, contemplative arts and more!
Arts in Medicine volunteers experience a mix of direct and indirect contact with pediatric and adult patients during their volunteer shift.
What styles of volunteering to expect:
- Most volunteers assist artists in residence with regularly scheduled group activities called “workshops” that may occur in the hospital setting or at a community health or wellness site.
- Some volunteers engage in public performance. These types of volunteers are typically musicians who provide music for patients, visitors, and staff in common areas of the hospital.
- Experienced volunteers work in conjunction with AIM artists in residence to answer bedside patient requests and staff referrals.
What we look for in AIM Volunteers:
- Volunteers must be 18+
- Ability to commit to a regular weekly volunteer shift of 1-3 hours between 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday for the duration of an academic semester.
- Professionalism and dependability
- Enthusiasm and affability
- Excellent communication
- Artistic skill and/or experience in the subject of the “workshop”
Many student volunteers have opportunities to receive course credit for their work with Arts in Medicine. To find courses available through the UF Center for Arts in Medicine, go to the Education page on our website.
Already an AIM volunteer?
Returning volunteers should apply to volunteer next semester through our Volunteer Portal
***Please be sure to email AIM’s Administrative Assistant, Erin Beardslee, (HENERN@shands.ufl.edu) and complete your portal forms by 3:30pm on November 21st. Emails and forms received after that time cannot be considered. RVP form should be submitted to Volunteer Services by 3:30pm on November 27th. ***
Check out the Volunteer Toolkit!